Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Remember When SNK Playmore Was Relevant?

I've been slow to get any new games, so updates have bordered on non-existent. I can tell you what I won't be getting though, King of Fighters 12. As someone who grew up on Street Fighter 2, I found the King of Fighters games to be unintuitive. Hell, I'm trying to play the older ones and I still don't get it. And then there's a story so convoluted it puts the Marvel multiverse to shame. It had started out as an SNK franchise crossover, but they eventually started adding original characters and part of my brain shut down. But King of Fighters had one thing going for it, a huge roster of characters. Say what you will about the game, somewhere within that legion of characters is someone you like playing as. And 12 felt the need to trim the roster. It seems like we should appreciate that they left in the old Fatal Fury team of Terry Bogard, Andy Bogard, and Joe Whatshisface. Maybe for me the game's appeal was as much in fanservice as anything else. No Mai, no King, no Kula, no interest. I guess I'll just have to wait till I can get my hands on Guilty Gea... I mean BlazBlue.

No comments: